Thursday, November 16, 2006

the visitors....

Happy Birthday to the best momma in the whole world! This is one of my favorite pics of my mom, my bro, and me - probably from about 1979 - taken by my dad. My mom always made us matching mumu/nightgowns which I loved. I lived in those little dresses and I've been meaning to recreate one for myself, they were so comfy! This is what Phil and I gave her today for her birthday. It's a piece called "The Visitors". Phil drew this group of "beings" and I embroidered over some of them with my sewing machine, and appliqued some dot print fabric. It represents the slew of guests that always seem to be coming through my parents house. Their house has sort of become a headquarters, meeting place, base camp, haven/home for wayward friends if you will. This picture also represents how any and all creatures/beings/people are always welcome in their home. And being that both my parents come from restaurant families, they always have at least two pork roasts at the ready!
Happy Birthday Mom!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I really like the topstitching detail too.

Hope your mom had a wonderful birthday!