Sunday, January 21, 2007

Teru Teru Bouzu!!

I was flipping through a Japanese baby magazine with Mari the other day and came across an image of a Teru Teru Bouzu. I remember them from my childhood but never knew what they were called or what their purpose was. Mari said that in Japan they used to make these to wish for good weather. Normally just made from a tissue and a rubberband. I researched more and found that if you hang them upside-down, it means you want it to rain. So I'm going to hang this guy upside-down and see what happens! He is lying on a quilted bookcover I made last night. This was a smock my Mom bought me a couple of weeks ago for $1.50!! She just knew I would love the fabric and could cut it up to make something.
I loved the white patterned enamel snaps so much, that I decided to make an apron out if it - keeping the snaps in tact. The fabric is so perfectly Valentine-y too! I still have the whole back left to make something else.
Well, we're having a lovely lazy Sunday so far - I've just been reading this and getting so inspired. Must get to work now!
(*****I just learned that it's called a Fure Fure Bouzu if you hang it upside-down!)

No comments: